10. Post comments in discussion groups and on message boards. Be sure to make useful, relevant statements based on topics being discussed. Comments that only contain a link will usually be deleted or banned. If you make valuable contributions, people will want to find out what else you have to say by visiting your site.
9. Give away awards to other sites that you find particularly outstanding. Provide a graphic with the award title and a link to your webpage.
8. Email other webmasters and simply ask for a link. Let them know why your website will benefit their readers, and provide a pre-coded html link for them to cut and paste to their page.
7. Never underestimate the power of blogs. Talk to bloggers about links and posts about your website. The blogging community is ever-growing, and blogmasters are always looking for cool new things to post.
6. Write a site review on your webpage and send the site's webmaster a link. Who would pass up an opportunity to advertise a great testimonial?
5. If your site distributes a newsletter, start a contest for ad space. Offer to advertise a website in your publication to the sites that offer you a free link.
4. Write free articles for an article directory (search "article directory" in Yahoo! or Google for submission options). This allows people to read your work and publish it for free. Make sure to include a Bio Box that includes a link to your site. Stipulate that the article may be reprinted for free as long as the Bio Box is included. This will instantaneously provide extra links to your page when people reprint your work.
3. Write to webmasters and compliment their site. Often, they will want to include your kind statements in a testimonial section, and a link to your site will give the quote credibility.
2. Start your own reciprocal linking campaign. Write to webmasters of quality, relevant sites that you want your readers to see. Choose wisely! Tell them why your site will benefit their readers, and show them how prominently their link will be displayed on your page. Make sure to include a pre-made html link to your site that can be easily cut and pasted.
1. Submit to as many directories as you can. Webmasters agree that directory submission is the BEST way to gain targeted traffic to your site. By listing your site in a directory, web users will view your page as a reliable resource tailored specifically to their search criteria. And a great way to quickly submit your website to hundreds of Link Directories is by using the Link Directory Submitter.