On Page Factors
These factors all relate to your own site and include your domain name, page names, meta tags, keyword density, titles, headings and last but not least the content.
If you know how to optimize these, you will improve your chances of a better ranking. But, remember, there is no guarantee as the exact formula (algorithm) used by the search engines is not known and is frequently changed.
* Domain Name – Should contain the keyword phrase that describes your niche and not be hyphenated. e.g www.ladiesgolfclubs.com
* Page Names – Each page should be dedicated to a specific topic that is related to your main theme. The keyword(s) that best describe this should make up the page name (hyphens are ok for this). e.g www.ladiesgolfclubs.com/8-irons.html
* Meta Tags – These are HTML tags contained in the head section of your page. You should include your keyword(s) near the beginning of each of these tags. The text for the TITLE tag and DESCRIPTION tag should be compelling, as this is what the visitor sees on the search results page and will influence their decision to click.
There is debate about the benefit of placing your keywords into the KEYWORD tag, but it can’t do any harm if you put them in once.
* Keyword Density – There are no fixed rules for this, but your keyword(s) should appear in your content between 1% and 3% of the time. e.g if your content is 500 words long, your keyword(s) should appear between 5 and 15 times. Too high a density could be seen as spamming.
* Titles & Headings – Putting your keywords or derivatives of it into your titles and sub-headings confirms the importance of your keyword within your page. Using H1 and H2 tags for this purpose can also help.
* Content – The golden rule is to write good quality unique content for your visitors. If you get that right, you have a good chance of keeping some of the search engines happy for some of the time. Rather keep your visitors happy for 100% of the time! If you have done your research and kept your content on topic, you should automatically produce a good mix of theme related keywords and keyword density.
A good idea is to get some help in the form of step by step instructions and coaching videos designed specifically for newbies.